There’s forage alfalfa, and then there’s BY Alpha. These varieties don’t get their name for great genetics alone – they belong to the only alfalfa portfolio with a dedicated team managing all four stages of production.
1. The first stage is choosing the best genetics. When we stamp the BY Alpha badge on a bag, it means the seed inside has been bred to meet the highest standards:
- Yields in the top 10% of recognized third-party, replicated trials
- Highly digestible for improved nutrition and more milk per acre
- A perfect score on the Disease Resistance Index (DRI)
2. Next, we recruit skilled Canadian growers and prime fields for the BY Alpha Production Team. Western Canada is known for its pure and carefully-protected alfalfa production zones, so you can feel confident in the varietal integrity of our seed.
3. BY Alpha Seed Production Specialists and growers team up throughout the production season. The Seed Production Specialists bring guidance and advice, while growers bring their knowledge and years of experience. Together, they closely manage seeding, nutrition, crop protection, pollination, and maturity to ensure the best-quality seed is harvested in the fall.
4. In the fourth and final stage, growers deliver the seed to our in-house facilities for processing. This step allows us to preserve the varietal integrity of our seed. BY Alpha Seed Analysts test the seed for purity and germination in our accredited seed lab. The seed that meets our highest standards receives a traceability record, and then it’s packaged and shipped to distributors around the world.
It’s not the easy way to produce alfalfa seed – the easy way would have fewer quality checks and would leave the work to outside contractors. But that’s not how you put peace of mind in a bag.
When you’re dedicated to running a high-quality dairy or beef operation, you need to know that the people behind your alfalfa seed are just as dedicated as you.
Look for the BY Alpha Badge on qualifying varieties' tech sheets and bag tags!