BrettYoung is a family-owned agribusiness with headquarters in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. We are proud of our 80-year history in agriculture. We employ approximately 170 people in 5 processing and distribution facilities in Western Canada, Ontario and in various sales territories across North America serving customers in three distinct markets:
- Wholesale Forage and Turf - we partner with growers to produce forage and turf seed for export and currently export to 40 countries;
- Professional Turf and Reclamation - we provide a wide range of products and services to the professional turf and reclamation industry in Western Canada and Ontario; and
- Seed and Crop Inputs - we provide crop input solutions to Canadian and US farmers including: BrettYoung brand canola and forage seed; Elite® brand corn and soybean seed; seed enhancements; and BioBoost® biological growth promoting technology for canola and soybeans;
We foster a professional and welcoming environment built on passion and energy.
We act with integrity, always.
To engage our customers and suppliers as partners.
To provide innovative seed solutions and industry leading service.
To encourage your growth in every way.
The origins of the modern day BrettYoung were a 1930’s woodworking plant producing step-ladders, incubators and coat trees for the T. Eaton Company. The transformation from a woodworking manufacturer to an international seed supplier started in 1934 when Bill Brett, owner of the woodworking operation, joined forces with one of his employees, Reg Young, and formed BrettYoung Limited a seed trading company.
Over the years, the company has added more seed varieties and products to its business. Chick feed, horticultural peat and legume inoculants were the first to be added to the business mix. Then alfalfa, clover and other forage seed varieties were added and by the early 1950’s production of turf seed varieties, particularly Kentucky Bluegrass, were added to the operation. As its seed business grew, BrettYoung completed construction on its first seed processing facility in 1953. By 1965 it completed a new and larger processing facility to handle its ever expanding business. Around this same time a processing facility for creeping red fescue was established in Rycroft, Alberta.
A notable highlight for the company came in 1968 when BrettYoung won an export award for its seed sales to countries such as the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Poland, Italy and the United States.
1975 was a pivotal year in the history of the modern BrettYoung. That year Peter Dyck purchased the company after having worked for the company since 1947. BrettYoung continues to be 100% family owned with plans to keep the company in the family for generations to come.
As BrettYoung celebrates its 80th year, they also begin operation of the largest single investment in the company’s history, a high-capacity, seed treating and coating facility at its main plant and office facility in Winnipeg. The new plant will serve all of BrettYoung’s business units.
Throughout its history, the company has maintained a reputation for honesty and integrity. “It is critical that this reputation be maintained for us to continue to be successful in exporting to markets in the US, South America, Europe and the Far East,” says Lloyd.
BrettYoung has kept its reputation and integrity clearly in sight, but Lloyd credits many others for the company’s success. “We are grateful to our processors, customers and suppliers who have made our long history possible and look forward to serving them in the years to come,” he says.
BrettYoung operations consist of 5 locations across Western Canada: and Ontario:
- Winnipeg, MB: is the corporate headquarters and processes approximately 60 million pounds of seed per year through it three seed cleaning lines.
- Rycroft, AB: located in northwestern Alberta in the Peace River region. The facility primarily processes creeping red fescue, as well as bromegrass and other fescues such as tall fescue.
- Leduc/Calmar, AB: located in central Alberta, south of Edmonton, it operates as a warehouse and distribution facility for all BrettYoung locations and is able to provide 48-hour delivery in much of western Canada.
- Gilbert Plains, MB: located in the Parkland on Manitoba, close to the Saskatchewan border, the facility is used as a warehouse and seed receiving and transfer station.
- Harriston, ON: Our warehouse and distribution center for serving our Ontario Turf and Reclamation Customers.
As an innovative agricultural business, we strive for the highest level of professionalism in everything we do. This is a basic prerequisite in offering our customers premium solutions that add value to their businesses.
We realize the success of BrettYoung is a direct result of each individual. Employees share in the responsibility for the ongoing growth and success of the company by providing their personal best. BrettYoung is characterized by the dynamism of a committed privately-held organization that challenges staff to take risks, view roadblocks as opportunities and to explore new ideas. Encouraging staff to demonstrate initiative and then working together to realize goals is what sets BrettYoung apart.